Circa 1800-Stephen Sullivan & wife Dorcus came from South Carolina via Kentucky. (Sullivan was railroad contractor.)
1812 - Missouri Territory Organized.
1818-Territory of Missouri asked Congress to be admitted in Union as a state. County of Franklin was also organized. Brush Creek area settled by group of South Carolina families, including Sullivan.
July 12, 1819-Franklin County divided into four townships (Meramec being one). 1,584 square miles. Later on more townships added; Gasconade County formed and reduced Franklin to some 866 square miles.
August 10, 1821-Missouri admitted into Union as slave state. 24th state
January 28, 1839 - 120 acres conveyed by U.S. Government to Garretson (also spelled Garrison) P. Hardy. Purchased according to provisions of the Act of Congress for the sale of public lands (dated April 1820).
June 1848, Garretson sold acreage to William & Mary Smith for $150.
June 1856, Stephen & Dorcas (spelled Dorchus in plat book) purchased acreage, plus 49 acres from Smith. Paid $400. This was future site of the original town.
July 25, 1856-Post office opened in Clark store (Austin Clark, postmaster) at Mount Helicon. (Closed on July 24, 1860.)
September 22, 1857-Jacob Clark died on 440 acre tract of land situated along Freemont Trail (now Springfield Avenue), named “Mount Helicon” (named after famous mountain range in east central Greece).
1859-Stephen Sullivan donates ground for railroad right-of-way and builds depot himself. Railroad names station “Sullivan”. Post office also laid out and named “Sullivan”.
October 1859-Streets were entered into Franklin County plat book.
July 24, 1860-Railroad depot constructed.
June 1861-April 1865 Civil War era. Railroad depot burned and destroyed.
1876-Meramec Township population reported to be 1,063.
1883-Sullivan becomes incorporated into Third Class city.
1897-Railroad depot reconstructed. (New depot built 1960's. In 1976, a “metal building” depot was dismantled & shipped to Springfield, MO)
1898-Water tower constructed $330.
1899-Sullivan becomes Fourth Class city. Voters approved dividing city into two wards.
1901-Water tower burst & fell to ground spilling 25,000 gallons.
1902-New water tank completed (20' high 16' diameter). Located at corner Taylor & Washington by elementary school.
1903-Water pipes laid along Hughes Ford Road. City’s financial statement shows $40 balance.
1904-City’s financial statements show $639 balance.
1908-After an election, followed by court hearing, Sullivan was a “dry” town regarding liquor sales.
1909-Recurring sewer problem arose (addressed briefly in 1902 & 1906). Board of Health created. Some tried to correct problem, others filed lawsuits. City’s balance on hand $59.
1910-City purchases ground for Tri-County Fair. Discussions on proposed State Highway (later known as Route 66) from St. Louis to Springfield.
1911-First Tri-County Fair opened. Census in Sullivan 1,016. State Board of Agriculture requests State Highway from St. Louis to Springfield (Route 66).
1914-Town Hall destroyed by fire. Defective flue. Building destroyed. Evidently records & minutes were stored elsewhere as they were not destroyed. Also, voters approved new electric light & ice plant.
1915-Ordinance passed to levy license tax on all motor vehicles.
1916-Tri County Democrat newspaper established. Published by Charles Betz.
1917-World War I era. Water tower reported to be leaking. 16,000 gallons lost.
1918-Mass meeting to buy the well passes with near unanimous vote. City also begins to oil some of its streets. World War I ends (11-11-1918). City’s balance at $220.
1921-City council passes ordinance motor vehicles speed no greater than 10 mph.
1923-North Clark Street improved from railroad to Springfield Avenue.
1924-Public sewer & catch basin built.
1925-Sewers being constructed city-wide. Major street improvement made to Front (now Main). Route 14 (later Route 66) pavement started in Sullivan area.
1926-Clark Street paved. Highway 66 pavement completed through Sullivan.
1928-Meramec State Park opening.
1931-Sewage disposal plant built at cost of $25,000.
1932-New Meramec Theater opens. State park highway (now Highway 185) improved from Highway 66 to the park.
1934-Sullivan attempts to establish own electric light plant. Missouri Power & Electric held unexpired contract. City loses, but later (1940's) gets own plant. City balance at $694.
1935-Construction begins on new city hall.
1937-New city hall & auditorium completed. Built on former site of former Stephen Sullivan home & lumberyard.
1938-First council meeting held in Spring ‘38. Ordinance passed to file for grant to construction an electric light plant. $80,000 bonds issued.
1939-Streets and public roads were named.
1940-City treasury show $40. New post office erected at corner of Clark & Vine streets using $70,000 allotment set aside by Congress under Federal Public Building Appropriation Act of 1938. International Shoe Factory starts up.
1941-Plans for new electric plant adopted.
1942-New electric plant operating & a diesel engine & accessories purchased for use in plant.
1943-Rich iron ore deposit discovered. St. Joe Lead Company indicates 5 years before new iron ore mine would be in operation.
July 1945-Major incident involving electric plant when lightning burned out generators. Sho-Me Power came to rescue within 3 hours power was restored.
September 1945-World War II ends.
1946-Ramsey Corporation factory started up in City Hall auditorium for short period while new plant being constructed.
January 1, 1947-City mail delivery started. City made certain streets and house numbers were marked. Paul Hines & Roy Johnston were first mail carriers.
1951-Korean War begins.
March 1954-City Hall bonds retired and ceremoniously burned. John H. Chiles Avenue named for former mayor & town leader was dedicated. In October, groundbreaking held for new pump house & new well drilled.
June 1956-Sullivan celebrates 100th birthday. Paper booklet researched & written by Bess Dunsford & Alice Russell in honor of occasion “A Century Passes”.
1957-Plans begin for new swimming pool. City purchased tract consisting of 68 lots at $20,000 to add to park land.
1958-State Director of Resources & Development called Franklin & Washington counties area a future boom area, sighting the iron ore deposits in the area along with possibility of a dam being built on the Meramec River.
February 1960-Sullivan makes plans for 35-bed hospital. In August, $70,000 bond for new swimming pool passed by voters. Meramec Mine opens bringing 140 employees. Khoury League formed.
March 1962-Sullivan held open house & ribbon cutting for new hospital on Sappington Bridge Road. Picnic pavilion completed on park at Elmont & Springfield Road. City operating balance showed $116,000. In December, International Shoe announcing closing of operation.
1964-School purchases property at corner of Taylor & Washington from Champion Roller Mill. City donates old jail site, located adjacent to mill. Mill dismantled and area cleared for parking.
February 1965-New industrial subdivision approved by Board of Aldermen. Located in SW Franklin Co., and NE Crawford Co. Construction of falls lines from main trunk line began soon after.
February 1966-KTUI radio began broadcasting.
1967-Sullivan’s first football game played at new high school stadium on Vine Street.
1966-Lower portion of City Hall remodeled to house city jail. It was formerly fire department headquarters.
1967-Vietnam War begins. In June, private ambulance service discontinued. Hospital became base for emergency & ambulance calls.
August 1969-Work started for two interchange lanes for Interstate 44. Bids were opened for new addition to hospital.
1971-Kiddie park developed.
1974-New bank, Meramec State Bank, opens. City park renamed “Sunny Jim Bottomley Park” in memory of baseball hall of famer who retired in Sullivan.
1976-Sewer system deemed inadequate. Federal grant $23,000 for study of sewer system. City parking meters removed from downtown area.
June 1977-Community Center opened at corner of Fair & Main Street.
December 1977-Meramec Mine shuts down. However, operations changed and operated for awhile on a smaller scale.
February 1978-City ordinances codified by Missouri Municipal League. Highway D improvements and reconstruction started. In November, voters approved $400,000 GO Bonds issued for R.I.T. Industrial development.
April 1979-Voters approved police chief to be appointed instead of elected.
1980-New public library opens on Vine Street (adjacent to post office). Former library site was at City Hall and this area was turned into council room & municipal court chambers. First appointed Chief of Police appointed. Hiring a City Administrator position discussed. July 1980 Meramec Valley Communications start TV cable company.
July 1981-New addition on hospital completed.
1983-Discussions started about selling hospital.
May 1984-City hospital sold to H.E.I. out of Texas for $4 million. In June, James W. & Velma U. Shaffer sold city 89 acres off AF Highway for airport at $460,000. In December, 50 acre parcel was purchased from John & Loretta Weber for $75,000.
May 1985-Sullivan Tri County news ceases publication. Sullivan Independent News still running.
January 1988-Office of City Administrator created. Aerofil Technology (aerosol can manufacturer) starts up in Industrial Subdivision across from new airport site along AF Highway.
March 1989-City Lake Dam funding application made. 25.14 acres purchased from John & Loretta Weber for $57,000 for new airport at AF Highway. FAA application for funding new airport made in May. In July BOCA building codes adopted. Also in July, plans & specs drawn for Downtown Main Street Revitalization Vernaci Construction (Washington, MO). Also in July, ground work started at new airport by Unnerstall Construction (Pacific, MO).
1989-Main & Clark Streets revitalized through “Main Street” grant project. 25.14 acres also purchased for building new airport off Highway AF. In November, 911 system was approved by voters. Contract with Federal Aviation Administration application on funding for new airport located on Highway AF.
1990-Hangars constructed at new airport.
1991-Natural gas franchise with Fidelity. New airport dedicated.
1992-New swimming pool plans started. Aerofil expanded.
1993-Personal property taxes repealed and ½¢ capital improvement tax approved by voters. Airport non-directional beacon grant approved. Construction started on new swimming pool.
1994-General obligation bonds approved by voters $4.105 million for street, parks, police, water & sewer improvements repaid by capital improvement sales tax. Fluoride added to city water system. Sidewalks & storm water drainage improvements on Elmont Road from Interstate-44 to Falcon Drive. Plans for new police complex approved. Sale of Campbell-Chapman Park (located off East Vine Street) to Country Club. Sewer District #38 (Highway 185 South) plans started.
1995-Purchase of 101 Industrial Drive (former Holloway building) from Bank of Union and lease/purchase agreement with Television Engineering Corporation. Grant with Missouri Department of Economic Development for Highway 185 North Sewer Project. Sale of Masner property (Highway 185 South acreage) to Sullivan Public School District. Purchase of Tyree property (South Service Road East) 130 acres. Well #10 constructed Glaser Road.
1996-Voters approve $3.305 million revenue bonds for water & sewer improvements repaid by water & sewer user fees. Speculative building constructed on Highway AF.
1997-Highway 185 South sewer extension construction. Sale of former Tradco building (plus 5 acres) to Sullivan Precision Metal Finishing. Water tower purchased for Glaser Road Well #10. Comprehensive Plan developed by Bucher, Willis & Ratliff. Plans for improvements to Church & Springfield intersection started.
1998-Wastewater treatment plant feasibility study. Well #11 off AF Highway constructed. Edgewood water tower relocated to Mattox Drive. New Campbell-Chapman ball complex construction started (located off Progress & Mattox Drive).
1999-October, meter deposits returned to utility customers. Balances sent to Secretary of State’s office. Highway 185 North Sewer Project started.
2000-Planning & Zoning approved Comprehensive Plan. Well #6 (off Mattox Drive) rehabilitation started. Sullivan Heights sewer project started. Euclid Street storm water improvements started.
2001-School Resource Officer established via grant program.
2002-Hughes Ford Road sewer project.
2003-Codification of city codes & ordinances started. Elmont Overpass plans started. Airport taxiway extension 90% grant funded. North Loop Road plans.
2004-April voters approve Elmont Overpass Project repaid with ½¢ transportation sales tax with 20-year sunset provision. Sappington Bridge, Walker Fields, Hughes Ford Road, Grandview Estates sewer project construction started. West Main Street improvements from Elmont Road to Sappington Bridge Road.
2005-Codification of ordinances completed. Watson Road sewer construction. MAMU (Missouri Association of Municipal Utilities) lease application for financing of new wastewater treatment plant.
2006-Transfer of natural gas franchise from Fidelity to Laclede. Improvements to East Springfield.
2007-Redevelopment 353 Corporation established. West Springfield improvement plans started. Voluntary annexation 58 acres owned by Logue Family located along Highway 185 North & Erhardt Road. MoDOT grant application for curb & gutter & sidewalks along south side of Highway 185 North at Sullivan Middle School area. Tree Committee established. New electrical substation plans approved for Alden Street area.
2008-Construction on new wastewater treatment plant started. North Loop Road Project started. Fence & lighting for new Elmont Overpass approved. Payments for city user fees accepted via credit card Visa and/or Mastercard approved. Hawthorne Lane water extension contract approved. State accepts ownership of North Loop and city accepts ownership of Highway AF from intersection of North Loop to North Service Road.
2009-Delta Regional Authority Grant Application for Highway D lighting at Missouri Baptist Hospital access. New wastewater treatment plant went online May 21, 2009.
2010-Agreement with Mid-Missouri Municipal Power Energy Pool for electricity at the lowest possible cost. Installation of equipment for monitoring 60 sanitary lift stations. East Vine Street improvement plans approved. Sale of products containing pseudoephedrine prohibited without prescriptions. Geothermal heating/cooling units approved inside city limits.
2011-Renewed franchise with Laclede Gas dba/Missouri Natural Gas Company for 20 years. Lease agreement renewed with Sullivan Saddle Club for 16-year period. Authorized Chamber of Commerce to operate Farmers Market at fairgrounds. Nova chip (ultra thin bonded overlay) used on city streets.